Best Bets: Take the plunge at East Side Lake
The Paint the Town Pink celebration continues on with another weekend of festivities.
One of the biggest money makers of the drive, Plunging for Pink, will be taking place from 12:30-3:30 p.m. at East Side Lake.
Jumpers will be braving the frigid PTTP.
For more information, go to www.hi.umn.edu/pttp, email goPTTP@gmail.com or call 507-460-0259.
On Sunday, the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers will face off in Super Bowl LIV. However, while you’re waiting for the big game, there are a pair of other events that might get you in the mood.
The Cedar River Archery Club will hosting a Super Bowl Shoot from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at its sprawling site east of Lansing. Cost is $10 for members and $15 for non-members. Family and child rates available.
For more information, go to www.cedarriverarcheryclub.com or call 507-208-5698.
Then, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Austin Masonic Lodge will be hosting its 19th Annual Superbowl Sunday Spaghetti Dinner at the Austin Masonic Lodge. A $10 donation will get you a dinner of spaghetti, garlic bread, salad, beverage and dessert.
Tickets available in advance from chapter members, or call Mary at 507-437-7292 or Kathy at 507-440-1901.
Schedule of events
• Kids’ Studio – “Magic” Watercolors, 10:30 a.m. at the Austin ArtWorks Center. With Kara Page. Cost $5 per child; geared towards kids ages 5 – 10. To sign up or for more information, go to www.austinareaarts.org or call 507-434-0934.
• Plunging for Pink, 12:30-3:30 p.m. at East Side Lake. Part of Paint the Town Pink. Help raise funds and awareness about cancer research for The Hormel Institute at this annual event. For more information, go to www.hi.umn.edu/pttp, email goPTTP@gmail.com or call 507-460-0259.
• Author Visit – Emily Carson, 1 p.m. at Sweet Reads. Meet Rochester journalist Emily Carson, author of “Holy Everything,” a popular guide to life. For more information, call 507-396-8660.
• Mardi Gras Murder Mystery, 6:30 p.m. at the Hormel Historic Home. Come and join the Friends of the Austin Public Library in their second murder mystery event! Trouble is brewing during Mardi Gras and it’s up to you to sleuth out what is going on. Can you figure out who-dun-it? Prizes will be awarded to those who can guess correctly. Tickets $25 – currently sold out, but you can add your name to a waiting list. Costumes are highly encouraged to get into the spirit. Music will be provided by Reminisce. All proceeds benefit the Austin Public Library. For flyers and more information, stop by the front desk of the Austin Public Library or call 507-433-2391.
• Blooming Prairie Youth Club Benefit Bash, at the Blooming Prairie Servicemen’s Club. During this special evening, you will have the opportunity to participate in live and silent auctions, eat delicious food, and enjoy great company! One hundred percent of your donations given through this event directly benefit our youth programs and help provide an affordable, safe, fun, and educational environment for all school age youth in our community. The silent auction runs from 5- 7 p.m. and the live auction begins at 7:15 p.m. Bidding numbers are $10 each and food is available for an additional charge. For additional information, contact Diana Evans at 507-583-6699 or email@example.com.
• Super Bowl Shoot, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Cedar River Archery Club. Come out for a fun, family sporting event. $10 for members, $15 for non-members (family and child rates available). For more information, go to www.cedarriverarcheryclub.com or call 507-208-5698.
• Riders Pancake Breakfast, 9 a.m. to noon at American Legion Post 91. Enjoy an all-you-can-eat pancake feast at the Legion – pancakes, eggs, sausage, coffee and juice. Cost – $8 for adults, $4 for kids down to 6, free for kids under 6. All proceeds benefit Legion Riders programs. For more information, call 507-437-1151.
• 19th Annual Superbowl Sunday Spaghetti Dinner, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Austin Masonic Lodge. Let the Mason’s do the cooking and the dishes – you just enjoy a great dinner of spaghetti with sauce, garlic bread, salad, beverage and dessert, all for $10 donation. Take-out meals available. Tickets available in advance from chapter members, or call Mary at 507-437-7292 or Kathy at 507-440-1901.