Austin ArtWorks Center: Member Show coming in November
The 6th annual Member Show opens at the Austin ArtWorks Center on Friday, Nov. 1.
This show invited members of Austin Area Arts to share their work with the community. It typically features 25 or more artists with genres ranging from painting to mosaic to mixed media to photography. This is the only show in our year where patrons purchasing a piece from the show are allowed to take it home right away. Normally, we ask that pieces from the gallery show remain on display until the end of the exhibit — but that is not very compatible with holiday shopping.
Would you like to exhibit your work in the Member Show? We’d love to have you. Just make sure your membership ($60 per year for an individual) is up to date and contact Operations Manager Kelsey Ritchie for details.
Maybe it’s time to get creative and make some NEW artwork? We’ve got you covered on that, too. Our fall class schedule will have you learning new skills and finding inspiration around every corner.
Get your hands dirty at Basic Wheel Throwing with John Sullivan on Thursday, Oct. 10 and 24. John will walk you through creating clay creations on the wheel at the first session and then learn how to glaze it at the second session. Learn how to turn your kitchen into a print-making studio at Kitchen Lithography with Rachel Obranovich on Saturday, Oct. 12. Rachel will help you turn a simple drawing into a print with items like aluminum foil, coca-cola and canola oil. Kitchen Lithography is geared to ages eight and up so it’s a great chance to have some quality time with the kiddo in your life. Creative teens will want to check out Halloween Comics with Leila Hansen on Tuesday, Oct. 22. Bring your vision of ‘Inktober’ to life in black and white at this class.
On Saturday, Oct. 26, Amarama Art returns to Austin with Needle Felted Pumpkins. Amarama joined us in the spring to teach folks how to create flowers with felted wool and now it’s time for fall creations. Take home four mini felt pumpkins plus materials to keep working. Amarama will also present Needle Felted Gnomes on Wednesday, Dec. 4 just in time for holiday decorating and gift giving.
Our favorite polymer clay artist Layl McDill is coming to the ArtWorks Center on Saturday, Nov. 16 to teach Hanging Animals. Ages 8 and up will love creating colorful clay millifore and then shaping an animal to hang from your Christmas tree, vase or windowsill. Take home your clay and bake it in your own oven to complete the project.
More opportunties to make holiday gifts or decor in December: Holiday Embroidery “Elfonso” with Hedra Bishop on Saturday, Dec. 7 and Evergreen Landscape Painting with Katie Stromlund on Wednesday, Dec. 11.
Remember, kids ages 4-10 will flex their art muscles at $5 Kids Studio every Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. and all are welcome to get inspired by the materials provided at Family Art Studio on the 2nd Saturday at the Center — Oct. 12, Nov. 9 and Dec. 14. Go to www. austinareaarts.org for details and watch for our spring schedule of classes to be announced in December.
Some classes are sold out. We do maintain a waiting list in case of cancelation. Contact the Austin ArtWorks Center for more information.
- Oct. 9: “The Dark Crystal” 3 and 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 16: “Ghostbusters” 3 and 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 18: MacPhail Spotlight: The Roaring Twenties 7 p.m.
- Oct. 23: “Hocus Pocus” 3 and 7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 30: “Rocky Horror Picture Show” 3 and 7:30 p.m.
- Nov. 6: Coco (2017) 3 and 7:30 p.m.
- Nov. 9: Galactic Cowboy Orchestra 7:30 p.m.
Austin ArtWorks Center
- Oct. 10: Basic Wheel Throwing 5:30 p.m.
- Oct 12: $5 Kids Studio: Watercolor Bookmarks 10:30 a.m.
- Oct. 12: Kitchen Lithography 1 p.m.
- Oct. 12: Free Family Art Studio 1-3 p.m.
- Oct. 14: Sandy’s Pop Up with the Yarnmobile 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Oct. 19: $5 Kids Studio: Make A Monster (clay) 10:30 a.m.
- Oct. 22: Halloween Comics for Teens 4 p.m.
- Oct. 25: Fre ArtRocks Open Jams 7 p.m.
- Oct. 26: Needle Felted Pumpkins 2:30 p.m.
- Nov. 1: Opening Reception: Member Show 5-7 p.m.
- Nov. 2: $5 Kids Studio: Buried Treasure 10:30 a.m.
More information is available at austinareaarts.org.